Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wyoming Water Fun

One of the most disconcerting things to see on our trip out west was the terribly low water levels in the rivers we passed by.  The Platte River was absolutely pitiful.  It looked so sad that I even did some research when I got home to make sure I wasn't just imagining things. Nope... Today's average stream flow in cubic feet per second was 334.  The daily average for last year at this time?  5,085.  Yikes.

Anyway, I didn't come to discuss the water table.  I did come to talk about this fun little oasis we found on the Wind River in Boysen State Park, WY.  It was really close to our campground  and the kids had a great time.



I thought the mountains jutting up in the back were gorgeous.  All along the highways there are signs that date the rocks.  Some of them have been dated back to 450 million years ago or more.

We camped at Boysen State Park.  It's very primitive camping.  No hookups.  No showers or sinks.  Big scary hole-in-the-ground toilets.  The first night we were there Averlin looked into one of the toilets and said, "What's down there?"  I explained the setup and she got a HUGE grin on her face. "Hey!  That means we don't have to flush!" Haha.  I never knew she took such an issue with toilet flushing!

No comments:

Post a Comment