Sunday, July 8, 2012

We're on the Road!

This is being typed at a hotel. Not a campground. I will explain later.
.....

You know that video that the girls have been practicing for?  It was a total bust.  Once they were being filmed there were a whole lot of blank stares and awkward silences.  Meh.  We'll try again later.  
.....

I have a brand new camera that for some reason doesn't want to allow me to upload my photos to the computer and frankly, I'm too tired to fool with it tonight, so forgive me, please.

We had an amazing day and a slightly terrifying evening. That combination an adventure doth make, right?

The kids did AWESOME in the car today.  They were happy and helpful.  Even the Bubs!  We stopped at the Tennessee state line welcome center and rest area, which was gorgeous. I love the South. It is so aesthetically pleasing. We ate my favorite lunch at a picnic table overlooking a lake.  Jeff calls the meal my poor French peasant lunch.  I call it "Parisian delight."  Basically it's just French loaf bread, brie cheese, and some kind of fruit- today it was blueberries.

We had a Raffi-fest in the car, and listened to a Judy Moody audio book. The girls made pipe cleaner jewelry and the Bubs did a rather large amount of sleeping.

A couple of hours later we made it into Nashville.  We've been looking forward to our outing at the Cheekwood Botanical Gardens for a while now because of their temporary Treehouses exhibit.  It did not disappoint.  There were 7 gorgeous, creative tree house type structures built based on different pieces of children's literature.  I won't do it the injustice of trying to describe it myself.  I'll figure out how to get the pictures up. 
It was SO unbelievably humid in Nashville.  We stepped out of the car and one of the girls said, "I can't breathe!  It feels like I'm breathing water!" I've been complaining about Athens humidity recently, but holy smokes, we've got nothing (NOTHING!) on Nashville.  Despite the heat, the Fearless Wonders had an amazing time exploring the tree houses. 

After our fun playing and climbing, we headed over to WholeFoods to pick up some dinner ingredients. The market was in the middle of this really high-end shopping center-  The kind of shopping center where the peoples' shoes are worth more than my car, and their cars are easily worth more than my house.  I felt a little out of place considering we had just hiked all over the Botanical Gardens and sweated ourselves almost into oblivion. 
As we were leaving, the skies opened up into one of those thunderstorms that only the South knows how to do properly. By the time we got to our campsite, the wind was blowing so hard I couldn't open the car door.  Finally, we were able to hold onto one another and make our way to the office.  I knew at that point we would not be camping. This was a bit of a bummer, especially because this campsite looked amazing!  It would have been so much fun.  We'll definitely try to stop there on our way home.
We drove about 10 miles an hour through driving rain to the tiny nearby town with exactly one operational hotel.  And here we are.
The girls are already out cold and I plan to follow suit very soon.  We can't wait for tomorrow!  Pray that the storms will leave us alone!
Pictures... soon... I promise.

2 comments:

  1. AHAHAH.... and the first day's lesson: flexibility!!! Some nights are just not meant to be camped, no matter HOW good a story it would have been!!! Enjoy your nice, warm, dry hotel room!! Sounds like you guys are off to a GREAT start. I'm laughing at the kids with the video attempt... we've done that SO many times... blank stares! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are off to a perfect, funny, memorable start. Keep it coming. "I can't breathe!" Too cute.

    ReplyDelete