Sunday, July 15, 2012

More Dig Site Tour

I apologize if the video in the last post didn't work. I should have a chance to fix it tonight. Here are some photos of the dig site tour. Our tour guide, Echo, told us all about the original discovery of bones in the area and showed us one of the 40 quarries that are being excavated currently. The kids loved it. One thing I didn't know is that fossils are a dark black color when they're discovered. The tooth Salem is holding in one of the pictures below is a good example of what you'd find color-wise. The red painted areas are footprints of a Supersaurus which is a massive plant-eater. They have a complete skeleton of a Supersaurus inside the museum and it's 106 feet long! The tour was short, but informative and Echo even let the kids play with some plastic models of the dinosaurs we'd been learning about. I think the most exciting part was the bus ride up to the top of the mountain. It was so bumpy and that bus sounded (and felt) like it was going to bounce into a million pieces. It was a little disconcerting. Simeon held on to me tightly and shouted, "Mom! I'm crashing!" And, Averlin told me later, "I like when we get to wear seat belts better." hehe. Coming soon: videos from Cole, Salem, and Averlin inside the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment